of Messer Pond
and presented by Karen Haskell at the MPPA charter meeting on May 4, 1996
the town was called Heidleburg. On June 25, 1779 the name was changed to
New London. A warrant was issued and Mr. Samuel Messer was authorized to
call a meeting to choose town officers. Mr. Messer called a meeting for
August 3, 1779 in which 13 voters met at Squires home on Messer Hill, which
now Knights Hill, to elect officers and conduct business. Messer Pond
was named after Samuel Messer who was the first selectman of the town and who
owned land down to the pond.
hurricane of '38 was an important time in the history of the pond. On
September 21 the largest lumber program in the town's history took
place. During the hurricane 20 million board-feet of lumber and 10,000
cords of wood were leveled. Total cost exceeded $100,000. For many
months after Messer Pond and Otter Pond were storage basins for thousands of
saw logs. You can still see the eye bolts in rocks along the shore where
the booms were hooked to bring the logs to the mill. The mill was
located behind the third house on the north end of the pond and a bottle dump
is located by the sand pit (old pottery and bottles can be found). Much
of the tannin on the bottom of the pond is a result of loosened bark from the
10,000 cords of wood stored here.
Cricenti family acquired the pond property and Forest Kimball purchased it
from them. He was told that he was crazy and that the land would never
sell. They were right. Lots priced at $600 did not sell.
Only when he raised the price over $1000 would they sell. Kimball gave
each one of his kids a lot but only the Haskells built. They had no
electricity and built a log cabin on the north end of the pond in 1957.
In time the road (now Forest Acres) was built behind their cabin.
the 1960's Bruce Haskell made a request to stock the pond with fish. The
state granted the request and stocked the pond with bass.
1979 the first annual fishing derby was held for the boy scouts. This
became an annual event for about 10 years. It was held each March and
25-50 boys participated. Plaques were give for the largest fish caught.
1995 the Town of New London approached several residents to suggest forming a
protective association for the pond. A general meeting of pond-side
dwellers was held, a steering committee was formed and the charter meeting
with the election of officers was held in May 1996. Thus began the
Messer Pond Protective Association formed to serve, promote and preserve the
recreational and natural resource interest of the pond and adjoining areas.
60 people attended the first annual meeting (business and social) at a July
1996 picnic. Initiatives taken by the MPPA during its inaugural year
Monthly water quality monitoring;
Providing members (77 at that time) guidance on the care and pumping out of
Representation at several New London Planning Board meetings such as a
non-compliance deck construction hearing and the granting of several new
shorefront building lots;
Meeting with Bell Engineering Company to review plans on the land development
overlooking and adjacent to the northeast side of the Pond (Woodland Trace
extension and Meadow Lane - now Fieldstone Lane);
Joining the New Hampshire Lakes Association.
In the following year, 1997, on June 30th, MPPA was incorporated as the
Messer Pond Protective Association, Inc. In 1999 MPPA was granted
501(c)(4) tax status as a non-profit organized and operated for social welfare
In 2011, the MPPA tax status was
changed to 501(c)(3) as a non-profit organized and operated for